Natural England net gain conference & Environment Bank follow-up workshop
Reserve your place now for Natural England’s conference ‘Enhancing natural capital and delivering biodiversity gain though planning and development conference’ on Tuesday 15th November 9am-4pm at Network Rail’s Westwood Training Centre, near Coventry.
Environment Bank have been working with Natural England to promote a system of biodiversity accounting and compensation, through offsetting, and will be speaking at the free conference.
The conference will take stock of current net positive/net gain approaches to increasing nature through planning and development, that enhance natural capital and provide a range of beneficial ecosystem services to people, business and communities, and discuss how to develop these further.
Chaired by Natural England board member Dr Simon Lyster the conference will bring together delegates from local authorities, infrastructure companies, developers, Government and its agencies, the NGO community, offsetting companies and consultants, academics and professional bodies. Final details of the conference are still being finalised but the conference will provide an excellent opportunity to:
- Network and share experiences about net positive to date
- Hear examples of net positive/net gain approaches that have been developed for infrastructure operators, housing developers, and others.
- Get the perspective on what works well and the challenges relating to delivering net positive from developers, local planning authorities, consultants and regulators
- Find out about latest good practice guidance for net positive
- Hear about and discuss new developments in net positive approaches
- Discuss the challenges to delivering net positive and ways these could be overcome, and
- Advise Natural England how best it can encourage a net positive approach across the country
To reserve your place at this FREE conference (though please note there is a charge for non-attendance) please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is anticipated that there will be a high demand for places so early booking is recommended. A full agenda with confirmed speakers will be circulated.
Environment Bank workshop in spring
We will shortly be sending out details of a follow-up workshop to this NE conference, which Environment Bank will host in early 2017. At this workshop we will be discussing biodiversity accounting (application of the metric) and compensation via offsetting in the planning system in more detail than we will have the opportunity to in November; providing you with the tools you need to incorporate it into the planning process. We will be discussing:
- Biodiversity accounting and compensation (offsetting) origins and usage – why it is needed
- Supporting policy at a national and local level
- Processes and threshold of biodiversity accounting in planning determination
- Discussion on wording and caselaw for policies and permissions
- Delivery mechanisms and compensation/offset scheme standards – how to get the most out it for your local area
- An introduction to the biodiversity impact assessment metric
- Q&A sessions for all stages of the process
- Provision of resources and ongoing support for LPAs at all phases of implementation
- Optional detailed metric sessions for Local Government Ecologists
We look forward to seeing you soon at one or both of these events.