Who we are
The Environment Bank is a private company set up to deliver biodiversity gain through ‘biodiversity offsetting’. We work with Local Planning Authorities to incorporate offsetting into their planning process, with developers to calculate environmental impacts and with landowners who have conservation sites that can deliver biodiversity gain.
International experience in biodiversity offsetting has shown that brokers are the best way to remove the conflicts of interest that arise when landowners, developers and Local Planning Authorities come together to negotiate compensation for environmental impacts.
- calculate impacts/offset requirements for developers, using a government metric
- calculate the number of conservation credits available for sale at offset sites
- broker credits via our online registry, the Environmental Markets Exchange
- facilitate credit sales backed by legal agreements
- monitor and ensure long-term delivery of management plans.
We are also involved in the development of other eco-markets, so contact us if you’d like to talk about carbon or water credits.